Monday, March 1, 2010

Learning New Things

Pretty much everything that was in Sofie Hongyan's referral file describing her personality has been spot on.  She is super smart, stubborn as heck and talks constantly!  This kiddo wants to do everything we do.  She will watch me do something once and then do it all by herself.  She learned to brush her teeth and wash her hands, both of which she was equally obsessed with for the past few days.  She is speaking many words in English already and imitates us like a little parrot.  So far she has learned: wash, juice, thank you, such a silly girl, shoes, look, come here, stop, let's go and many animals in her book Baba reads to her.  We have also learned what many of the things she has been saying in Chinese means, so we are doing pretty good with communication.

One of the not so fun things she is learning is not to throw and hit, and "no".  Our guide said he was told she was very spoiled by her foster grandparents and we can definitely tell.  She wants everything and wants it immediately.  She was also throwing things around the room and at Brandon and me, and sassing it up when she didn't get her way.  We had lots of crying and tantrums yesterday and part of today, but by the evening she was responding to "no, no baby" and the throwing and hitting has stopped.

Sofie is a tidy little munchkin too.  She picks up after herself and makes sure everything is neat and tidy in the room.  It's very cute.  She falls asleep at naptime and at night pretty easily.  She will fidget for a bit but then crash and is a very sound sleeper.  We've been getting her down around 7pm and then cracking a bottle of wine and watching movies...what can I say.  Mama likes and needs her wine!  And the wine we've had has been pretty good!

Her congestion is mostly gone, but she has been running a fever and still coughing.  I am hoping the antibiotics will knock that out in the next few days.

We just love this little monkey so much and think there could not have been a better match for us.  Sigh.

Now for some photos...

This one is for you Nana Mary - the pink princess slippers were a hit.  She is quite smitten with them



And for you Auntie Jen - this kid can clean a chicken wing like nobody's business!



Reading her favorite animal book with Baba - he makes all the animal noises



Waving to all the people on the street



I did get our for a few hours today to shop, but not the shop shop I thought.  Just to the grocery store for snacks and wine and beer and water.  All the important stuff.  Sofie stayed with Baba and they did fine.  She was napping when I got back.  I snapped a pic of Hohhot while I was out.  It is a pretty decent sized bustling city.  They do not get many westerners visiting here, so we are quite the attraction.  Especially with a Chinese baby girl.  I swear every single employee of the grocery store came over to check me out...staring is perfectly okay in their culture.  I just smile and wave.



Tomorrow is another day to relax and let baby girl get better.  Thursday we will got shopping shopping and Friday to the museum and on to Guangzhou.

Thank you so, so, SO much for all the comment and emails.  It brings tears to my eyes when I read all of your wonderful notes.  I will try to respond to all of you...I have a small window of nap time and night night to use the computer so bear with me!

11 comments:

  1. Oh- Melissa– she is so beautiful! It is amazing to see yall with your sweet daughter– We can’t wait for you to come home– I’m so glad to hear you are doing so good– it really sounds like things are going great– we are so, so happy for you! keep the updates coming– we are reading everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so happy for you and your new family! You two will be awesome parents! Sienna, Mackenzie, Myself, & Maria cannot wait to meet Hongyan.. Safe travels and great blog BTW, very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your second sentence pretty much describes you as a toddler, Windy Woo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am soo glad things are gong so well. She is such a cutie. I can't wait unitl you and Northern Girl and Steen are all in Guangzhou together!!!!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    OMGosh.. I am finally catching up. She is doing FANTASTIC! And, I can't get over her curls. Gorgeous! Truly Gorgeous!! You guys are amazing. You are parenting like you have done this multiple times before! So happy for you! ANd, I can't wait to meet Sofie in GZ!

    Blessings,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still makes my heart skip to see the three of you together - so sweet! Have fun and eat it up! Love you, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is just beautiful! I LOVE her hair!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have enjoyed following your journey on the webpage and all the pictures. Joyce has been keeping mom and I updated too. Sofia seems like an adorable little girl and is quite lucky to have such wonderful parents!!! I know it is an adjustment for all of you, but it seems like you are doing just great (maybe it's the wine!). Enjoy your time together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet you were glad they didn't cut her hair as you suspected they might. She's a cutey pie. Tell her Nana Mary sends her a kiss. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carter loved the bubble video. He said "thats my cousin Sophie, she makes me laugh." I can just imagine the two of them playing together. I think they may be up to no good when they finally meet! :)
    We are so happy for you three! Please know we are glad to have a beautiful addition to the family (especially a girl) now we can buy cute things for presents. Can't wait to meet her oneday!
    Love to all!
    David, Kerri, Carter and Ashton

    ReplyDelete
  11. With her wavy hair down she looks like a beautiful little princess, and hey don't princess's usually get their way and everything they want?? Three very lucky people. Love to all, Mom

    ReplyDelete