Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Preparations

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to pack for two adults and a three year old...for 16 days in China...three different climates...cold, bitter cold and balmy...and a luggage limit of one bag and 44lbs per person...?  I hope you never have to find out...!!!

I've been working my way through the shopping and packing list.  We'll have time do some some shopping while we are there, but need to have some things (clothes, snacks, toys, bribes) on hand for the first few days after we first meet Sofie Hongyan.  She is pretty much packed now, with the exception of snacky things. 

I bought some of those space saver bags and they work great!  Problem is, they just make room for more stuff!  So the weight thing may be a problem...but that's what money is for, right?  Oh, and I had to buy new luggage.  Great, huh?  We had three very small (carry on size) bags and they just weren't going to work.  So I got some of these great hard-sided Delsey suitcases (65% off at Macy's!) that are super lightweight.

Oh, and did I mention gifts?  It is customary in China to bring gifts for people you meet and do business with.  So, we'll need gifts for the Director of the orphanage, nannies, foster family and province officials.  I am bringing some locally handmade really lovely soaps and candles for the ladies, nice razor and cologne for the men (made in USA) and some local chocolates for everyone.  The Director will get a lovely bath kit and Sofie Hongyan's foster Grandma will get this beautiful necklace with a swallow and locket made by an Etsy artist...I will put Hongyan's photo in it.

What's left to do?  Figure out which outfits to pack for Brandon & I...and how to get several uses out of each!  Buy a car seat...got it all picked out.  Get the chair for her room...again, already picked out.  Buy a baby sling/carrier - told we will appreciate having one of these in China.  Get on that plane!  Only 13 more sleeps...

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I've been thinking about you and talking about you with Jason. I can only imagine the hubub at your house getting ready to go! I'm not a very good packer, so I'm really going to pick your brain when it's time for us to pack. I tend to overpack, so I'll have a time, I'm sure! Gosh, it's getting close, isn't it? I'm SO excited...really you have no idea how excited I am for you! I'm gonna email ya!

    Have a great day, Melissa!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I hate packing. The airlines really get you. When we went to the Med. just packing for us for 16 days and different weather put us over the # of bags and the weight. Pay, Pay, Pay ! Love the necklace, good that you got it cause when I clicked on it to take a look--says now sold out. Space saver bags are great --for saving space. We have tried them. Now if they could only deflate some of the weight. Looking Good ! Hi to Brandon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One bag packed, three to go over here!!!!

    One more week girl, and you will be setting your alarm (like you will need it) for TRAVEL DAY!!!!

    I am READY!

    ~DiJo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa. I am still in the gathering stage for the trip. I keep saying I'm going to start putting things into suitcases, and keep putting it off. I think it's because I'm afraid that I won't be able to make the final decision of what to bring and what to leave, or I will have too much stuff I feel is absolutely necessary, or...? Anyway, today is the 18th. Departure day is the 24th (for us at 3:25). That means approximately 6 days and 3 hours until we are the first plane (of many). I had thought about the spacesaver bags, too, but was worried about having too-heavy bags. I guess we'll figure it out one way or another. :)
    -Heather, Dana, and Emmalyne QianPing

    ReplyDelete