Friday, February 26, 2010

An Amazing Day

We awoke to snow this morning.  Snow!  There were sights to be seen so we bundled up and headed out.  And I mean bundled...I had five layers on top and three below.  It was very, very cold.

We started out at Tienanmen Square.



Then headed out to see The Forbidden City.  This place was so amazing...and massive!





And finished up at the unforgettable Great Wall.  Brandon spent a few hours climbing and made it to the fifth tower.



We are so humbled by the rich culture and ancient history of this country and feel privileged to have seen even a small part of it so far.  We also feel lucky to be able to incorporate China's culture in to our family.  The people of Beijing have all been very warm and friendly and we have really enjoyed our short visit here.

We will leave for the airport at 4:45 am and head to Hohhot, Inner Mongolia to meet our Sofie Hongyan at 3pm!  Be thinking of us and wishing for the best...say around 1am Cental time!

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed all the touring pics, Melissa! I will most definitely be thinking of you all. As a matter of fact, I was just telling Jason last night as we went out to dinner how close ya'll were to getting Sofie! I can't wait for those pics!

    Hugs,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were in Hohhot in August. Our daughter was waiting for us at the hotel at 10:30 pm. Can't wait to see pictures & read all about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Joyce..not quite clear about our Sunday or china" Sunday? Great pics..looks like fun. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got nervous/excited butterflies in my stomach for you guys! I can't believe you are less than 24 hours from meeting your beautiful girl...tears...I feel 'em coming! I'll be thinking about you all day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. NOT EVEN KNOWING THE TEMP. IT LOOKS VERY COLD. ENJOY THE SIGHTS, IF YOU CAN KEEP YOUR MIND ON THEM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Melissa & Brandon,
    Sounds like you are having a wonderful time in China even if it is freezing. We have all been thinking of you both. Can't wait to hear about you meeting Sofie for the first time. Stella is doing very well and seems happy.
    Stay warm and safe travels.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete