Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Latest...More Waiting

Even though our LSC was the "formal" approval and when China officially recognized us as Sofie's parents, there are actually five more steps...or milestones so to speak...for us to reach before we can travel to get our girl.  It's 30 days later and we haven't even made it past the first one. 

As a Hague family, we need immigration approval to finalize our adoption in China and bring Sofie to the U.S. to become a citizen upon arrival.  This is what I refer to as our I800 application.  Before we could file this application, we needed to amend our preliminary approval due to her age.  Before we could do this amendment, we needed a homestudy update.  I posted about our delays in getting that done here.

Our application to change our 800A (preliminary) approval and I800 application were received by USCIS on 11/27.  I e-mailed our caseworker on 12/11 to see if the paperwork was logged in or had reached her yet.  I heard back from her this Monday, the 14th, that she had our file and was getting started on it.  About 45 mins later, she sent me an Request For Evidence (RFE).  There was something missing from our file and she needed our agency to respond and provide it to her.

By Wednesday, the caseworker had not spoken to or received anything from our agency, so she asked me to call her.  We chatted a bit and she made sure I understood exactly what she was looking for and how simple it really was.  She was really, really nice!  I shot off an e-mail to everyone I could think of at our agency asking to please get it resolved that day.  Finally heard back at about 3:15 that the letter was being sent.  Yay!

We were told at the travel meeting we attended over the weekend and in the recent e-mails from the travel coordinator to expect to travel in February!

1 comment:

  1. What is it they say "Hurry Up And Wait". I know you have both learned a great deal about things you cannot control, but some of these things seem like they just bounced about the system didn't they. Hang on Sloopy.

    ReplyDelete